Frequently Asked Questions
Please read through this page before contacting me about a possible tattoo. Not having to answer each and every question in detail allows me to spend more time drawing & tattooing and less time typing! If your questions are not answered here, include them in your contact form or email. Thank you!
How much do you charge? / What are your rates? My hourly rate is 150/hr. This rate applies to tattoos that take more than one session to complete. Some single-session work may be charged hourly as well. Other single-session tattoos (those that fall into the two-hours-or-less category) are priced by the piece. Keep in mind the tattoo process is fluid. While I do my best to give accurate pricing estimates, sometimes circumstances arise that can't be predicted (such as last-minute revisions, multiple breaks during session, etc.). Any estimate of cost given via email, over the phone, or in person is not guaranteed.
What is your minimum? At the private studio there is no official minimum, but you can expect to spend at least $100/150 if you set up an appointment here. // Union 3 Tattoo has a shop minimum of $80. **Please do not ask what you can get for the minimum charge!** Start by telling us about the tattoo you want. Tell us your budget if you need to, but do not try to haggle!
What is your deposit policy? The amount you pay up front secures your appointment time and is deducted from the final cost of the tattoo. If a tattoo takes multiple sessions, the deposit comes off at the time of your last session. Security deposits are nonrefundable. 24 hours notice via email is required to reschedule an appointment. If too short notice is given, or you do not show for your appointment, your deposit is forfeited. Multiple attempts at rescheduling, even with ample notice, may also result in forfeited deposit.
Can I bring someone with me? To your tattoo appointment, yes, of course! But please limit to one guest. No more than one adult may sit with you while you get tattooed. **Children under age 18 are not permitted.** For the sake of communicating clearly, without distractions, please do not bring a guest with you to a consultation.
Can I get a tattoo if I'm under 18? Not here. Not even with parental consent. You must be 18+ with valid ID present to get tattooed at the private studio and at Union 3. Forms of valid ID include: drivers license, state ID, passport, and military ID. **note: any of the above are NOT valid if expired.**
Where is your studio located? The private studio is in downtown Ann Arbor. The exact address and instructions for entering the building are given upon confirmation of your appointment. For information about Union 3 Tattoo, click HERE.
More Questions Answered
Will you do larger tattoos at the Detroit shop? Yep! I'm available for big custom tattoos by appointment AND the little-bitty fun ones at Union 3 Tattoo!
If I already have a design, will you tattoo it? It depends on the design and who created it. **I will NOT replicate anyone else's tattoo, a flash design, or other artwork taken from the internet without permission.** Part of what you pay for when you hire me is my experience, aesthetic, and skill. Having me draw your tattoo from the beginning is an important part of the whole process and brings depth to the experience.
I want a small, simple tattoo and don't want to schedule weeks in advance. Can I still get it from you? Come see me at Union 3 Tattoo on Saturdays! I'm happy to tattoo symbols, state outlines, initials, etc. as long as I have the time available. I also love tattooing the flash designs we have around the shop. You don't need an appointment. Just call ahead and see if I've got time that day!
Will you do a cover-up? Yes. However, covering old work sometimes requires leaving specific design choices up to the artist. I ask that you come in with an open mind. Start by thinking about what you would LIKE to see in place of the old tattoo, not what you think is going to work. We can then go over the possibilities together. If you choose to inquire about a cover-up, please email *clear* pictures of the old tattoo, including the area around it.
// FAQ section is in progress. I will continue to update here as common questions come up. //
How to care for your new tattoo!
- Bandage Time: Keep your bandage on for a few hours. I recommend at least 4-6 hours, or overnight.
- Wash & Dry: Whenever you remove your bandage, wash immediately with fragrance-free, antibacterial liquid soap & water. (No bar soap or anything with heavy fragrances). With clean hands, lather up your soap & water and wash the tattoo. Be thorough, but gentle. Be sure to wash off any excess ointment and plasma. Blot the area dry with a new paper towel or a clean towel and let air dry.
- Moisturize: I like to "dry heal" my tattoos, which means after I've washed and patted my tattoo dry, I leave it alone. Wash once per day. Moisturize when the area is visibly dry, feels tight, or is itchy (usually about 3-4 days after getting tattooed) using fragrance-free lotion. DO NOT use ointments, lotions, butters, or oils out of a tub! Whatever you choose to use while healing, avoid bacterial contamination by using only products that dispense from a tube or pump. When moisturizing, use only a small amount of lotion and apply only as needed to alleviate itching (once or twice a day for most).
- Healing time: Usually 2 weeks. Avoid swimming, soaking, saunas, and sunbathing during this time.
- Concerns? Contact your tattoo artist with any post-tattoo questions! We are here to help. Infection is rare, but if you show signs (red streaks, discharge, fever) consult a physician.